Police Sergeant Base Manager
As a Base Manager on secondment to the National Police Air Service (NPAS) you'll be a motivated leader who will manage and develop a team of specialists (up to 11 Tactical Flight Officers and 5 Pilots). They (and you) will use their bespoke skills and equipment to provide effective police air operations across England & Wales.
As a Base Manager you will:
• Manage, support, develop and inspire your team to achieve the best operational performance whilst promoting NPAS’ core values
• As one of only 14 Sergeants & Police Staff Supervisors in England & Wales, you will have the unique opportunity to actively shape the future of air support both locally at the base as it undergoes a series of project upgrades but also on the national stage as an ambassador for your Force and NPAS
• Liaise directly with police service representatives at various levels balancing understanding of local and national priorities whilst supporting local differing needs and expectation
• Operate in the aircraft as a qualified Tactical Flight Officer (TFO). Full training and support for this will be provided after successful selection
• The role may require you to travel to other parts of the region or country for meetings whilst also on occasion deputising for your line manager / representing NPAS on a Regional or national basis
We envisage the Base Manager will:
• Be a substantive Sergeant who has completed a minimum 12 months' probationary period and have been confirmed in rank at the time of the closing date of the advert
• Have an enthusiastic attitude towards supporting and developing staff, alongside the ability to manage performance effectively
• Have an awareness and understanding of the principles of police air operations service provision, alongside an initial appreciation and ongoing understanding of the inter-operability between Police operations and the Civil Aviation Authority requirements / NPAS Operations Manual
• Have the ability to use their demonstrable excellent communication, cooperation, leadership and situational awareness skills from both a management perspective and within the aircraft environment with a view to the continual development of self and others
• Maintain your operational currency through First Aid and Officer Safety Training
In return for fulfilling the role of Base Manager we can offer:
• A fixed shift pattern working mostly weekday office hours, with occasional weekend cover but with an element of self-controlled flexibility
• After training, perform the duties of a Tactical Flight Officer in NPAS Aircraft when required
• A rewarding opportunity to enhance your career, develop personally and professionally, and also gain experience rarely found at this rank level
• Training opportunities to obtain additional qualifications and courses, both aviation and non-aviation related, for lateral career development
• Opportunity to work in a state of the art aircraft, dealing with front line policing from a completely unique perspective
• Experience working in a borderless national policing operation alongside colleagues from all forces across England and Wales as well as British Transport Police
• Offer exposure to other police forces in your region and the country when dealing with spontaneous and pre-planned events, seeing how they operate for you to fully develop in rank, an opportunity we feel is unique to our specialism
The role offers a fantastic opportunity to lead and support a cross functional team, liaise with numerous other parts of the police family. You will have a large degree of autonomy to make effective decisions to promote performance whilst nurturing and support your staff.
Finally this is an opportunity to gain knowledge and experience working in an aviation environment and to learn, adopt and foster the safety and reflective teachings that such an environment promotes. The lessons and additional skills learnt from this are transferable and can be applied into shaping the future modern police service.
As a Base Manager you will also require the ability to carry out the duties of a Tactical Flight Officer. The selection process for this role does not require any previous aviation knowledge or flight experience. There are a number of hurdles to cover to a required standard, the standard being the same for all TFO and Base Manager Candidates. This is to ensure our safety critical role is maintained and those suitable candidates are able to develop their skills through effective training balanced with operational policing exposure. Find out more about the Tactical Flight Officer role
How to apply
All vacancies are advertised internally by police forces across England and Wales. We are currently not recruiting.